Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Craft with me, 1, 2, 3....Gobble Gobble turkey craft

Happy Thanksgiving!  In your rush to get your turkeys thawed, potatoes peeled, pies baked (or as in my case, purchased) why not take a break and celebrate the season with a delightful turkey craft?

Greta's finished turkey
 You can pretty much use whatever you have lying around, but our list included a big piece of poster board (a July 2010 calendar from my mom's 3rd grade classroom), some fall-colored tissue paper, brown paint, googly eyes, feathers, sequins, and glue.



I first cut out shapes for the turkey bodies, and while the girls painted those brown, I cut out a rough shape for the turkey feathers then traced the same shape onto the tissue paper and cut that as well, then we used a glue stick to paste them together.




They then adorned their turkeys with feathers and sequins, and Gracie also decided to use markers to make hers "the most beautiful turkey ever."

















They added googly eyes, and I cut out beaks and wattles.
Gracie's finished turkey
My turkey with her turkey

We also have been reading The Story of Thanksgiving by Nancy Skarmeas to help explain why we celebrate Thanksgiving.  I think it is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers and has just the right amount of information for them.  We will worry about historically accurate accounts of Thanksgiving when they get older :)

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for healthy children, active grandparents, a great husband, financial security, fun and supportive friends, and a relevant church that motivates me to be a better person every week.  What are you thankful for?

Linked to:
StArt
No Time for Flashcards 
Tot Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment