Oh, where does the time go? Between starting a new childcare venture, enjoying the beautiful spring weather, getting sick, and then caring for two little girls with ferocious cases of the stomach flu, April has come and gone before I even wrapped my head around the fact that it was here. The days have been flying by lately and by dinner time I find myself frazzled at the day's events and at a loss of what to prepare. Enter the "Get Creative with Leftovers" mission. Here is a sample:
The target leftovers:
grilled chicken, cubed or shredded
Staple ingredients found in fridge:
leftover rice (I had about 3/4 cup)
And from the pantry:
black refried beans
This was thrown together quickly in order to avert an emergency pizza delivery!
1. Place tortillas on microwavable plates, spread refried beans and a scoop of rice.
2. Divide chicken and add shredded cheese.
3. Microwave until warm, add salsa, sour cream, and chopped onions as desired. (I prefer the onions fresh and uncooked on such dishes!)
1. Spread refried beans over a small plate. (One with a significant rim works well.)
2. Next layer sour cream, salsa, cheese, onions as desired.
3. Serve with tortilla chips.
Ready in 10 minutes, hardly enough time for a pre-dinner cerveza :)
And a sidenote, there is a great giveaway on "The Ramblings and Adventures of a S.A.H.M." Good stuff, check it out!